Varangian Guards are the protectors of the Empyrean Royal family, possessing fighting prowess as rich as their compensation. Unlock this new troop of fighters in Conqueror’s Blade: Helheim via new Unit Challenges!
Exclusive Varangian Guards Shield
To mark the Varangian Guards’ release, you can arm them with the exclusive North Star Shield until July 24 (23:59 server time/23:59 CEST) in-game or via MY.GAMES Market. This item will never be sold again, so grab it while you can!
The northern aurora is indelibly etched into the hearts of the Varangian Guards, and their North Star Shields display this beautiful sight. They know that one day they will return home with treasure, and once again greet the gods beneath that shimmering night sky.
Varangian Guards can be unlocked by completing Seasonal Unit Challenges and come with a Seasonal Bonus in the form of Leadership requirements decreased by 10 points for the duration of Helheim.
Varangian Guards are heavy infantry soldiers, deemed to be the finest warriors the North has to offer. Well-equipped with swords, shields, and two-handed axes, they are the ultimate deterrent to threats against the realm. These mercenaries swore an oath to protect the royal Empyrean family, and maintain the stability of the kingdom while doing so.
The Varangian Guards are devoted but deadly and use their highly effective Rage mechanic to strike fear into the hearts of enemies.
Able to wield both defensive swords and shields and offensive axes, this unit can switch between protecting and attacking with ease.
While this band of fighters may appear to be invincible, once their Rage is spent, they must return to wielding far less dangerous swords and shields and resign themselves to protecting their commander instead of all-out brawling.
Just the facts: Varangian Guards (5-Star)
- Dispersed: The unit forms a spread-out square formation to lessen the impact of ranged attacks.
- Shield: The guards stand in a tight defensive formation, countering frontal attacks, and enhancing impact resistance.
- Northlander Legend: Leadership cost is reduced by 10 points during Helheim.
- Attack and Defence: While wielding swords, the unit can build up rage by taking damage and defeating heroes. While wielding axes, the unit can spend rage by using skills.
- Fire-Resistant: The Varangian Guards’ armour is less vulnerable to thermal weapons than other units of the same era.
- Unbreakable: While the Varangian Guards are holding up their shields, movement and attack speed is reduced by 30%, and damage taken is reduced by 30%. After a successful block, damage taken is reduced by 60% for 1 second.
- Raging Onslaught: The unit pulls out their two-handed axes, increasing armour penetration and damage by 300 points, and gaining new rage skills.
- Great Sweep: The unit consumes 30% Rage to make a horizontal sweep with their axes, gaining control immunity for 2 seconds. Soldiers with less than 50% Health will get a 50% damage boost and 20% of their maximum health will be restored, and will also knock down enemies.
- Colossal Strike: The unit consumes 30% Rage to initiate a full-power attack, gaining control immunity for 2 seconds. Soldiers with less than 50% Health will get a 50% damage boost and 20% of their maximum health will be restored, and will also knock down enemies.
- Shatter Shields: The unit consumes 40% Rage to charge the enemy and attack with axes, gaining control immunity for 2 seconds. Soldiers with less than 50% Health will get a 50% damage boost, and 20% of their maximum health will be restored. They will also knock down enemies. When all Rage has been consumed, this skill will end, and the unit will return to wielding swords and shields.
Varangian Guards are available to unlock via Unit Challenges now.
NOTE: The above information is correct as of the time of publication. Please check in-game for the most up-to-date Unit information.